I stopped watching and reading the news for a reason... Because it's depressing. All you ever see on it are shootings or drownings or child neglect... anything that isn't positive. Very rarely do you hear things (in comparison to the bad) of a dog who saved it's owner from a house fire, or a child did something way beyond her years...
I'll be browsing Facebook sometimes, just randomly going through my feed... and what do I find more often than not? Negative or bad news... I rarely find something that makes me smile or that makes my day. Instead, the news that I usually find tends to make my heart ache and make me depressed or sad about how our world is. For example, today I have heard nothing but the shooting on the Naval Base, the racial slurs against Miss America, a child who was found drowned, two skeletal bodies found, a child who is in desperate need of some sort of medical treatment... All of this has been on my news feed in the last hour... where is the good news? I know that there are tragedies out there, that the stories that I keep seeing need to be told, but there are also good stories out there too that I would love to see more often (not trying to downplay the shootings or any of the other news, just saying I'd like to see more positive things).
Some days I avoid my computer all together just because I can't handle more bad news. I don't understand why (Well, maybe I do, what with ratings and all) the media insists on reporting all the bad and ignoring some of the good stories out there that should have more coverage (Like the stranger who let a stranded family borrow his car). I know it's not as crazy or as "breaking" news as a shooting or something, but would it really hurt to have more positive news out in the world instead of depressing news that really makes you wonder what hope there is left for humanity?
I don't know, maybe it's just the fact that I already have disorders that pre-emptively make me more prone to being affected by bad news. Whatever the case, I would love to see more good things happening and less bad things happening.
Regardless, if you want to post some positive stories here please do... I'd love some more good news in my life!
http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bestoftv/2013/09/13/dog-alerts-family-to-abuse-newday-good-stuff.cnn.html
ReplyDeleteHopefully that link works.
I honestly think we as a public don't pay enough attention to the "bad" news. I don't like hearing that kind of stuff either, but I try to learn from it. People who encounter these sort of tragedies are always like:
"Oh my lawd, I can't believe that's happened here, how terrible."
Me: Really? You're shocked and depressed that that's happened, I understand, but there are wicked people and workings in the world. We all understand that by simply turning on the tv in the morning. What makes you think your sweet little town in Loveville, Nebraska is an exception? Or even a high-security naval yard for that matter?
I just see it as there is nothing we can do to stop the wickedness in the world, so why don't we learn from these terrible tragedies and guard ourselves against future ones? Have more thorough security checks for a military base is just one small example. Nothing can really be done about the arrogant population that slings racial slurs around like an ape slings his leavings, but we could hold parents to higher standard for raising well-behaved children instead of destructive monkeys.
I shall stop before I ramble.
The only thing mankind has learned from history, is that we don't learn from history.
I couldn't agree more, Punk (And thanks for that article). I hate hearing about it and everything, but I also do agree that we need to step it up and learn a bit from the news... I am just mostly saying I'd like to see more positive things out there.
Deletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVzljDmoPVs
DeleteIf I knew how to embed it I would...
Purdy cool video to get your mind off things.
; ]